Saturday, July 14, 2007

Trip to Atlanta - Post # 2 - Cyclorama & GA Aquarium

As promised here are more pictures from our trip to Atlanta. Here are Bryant & Wayne relaxing after the concert at the hotel.
Bryant thought it was so cool that we had 5 pillows on the bed!
He was also amazed by the "fancy" folded towels. Even the toilet paper was folded fancy! It was just a Holiday Inn!
Here's Bryant outside of the hotel. We made it to the Cyclorama just before the rain came. For those who may not know, the Atlanta Cyclorama tells the story of the Civil War Battle of Atlanta, fought in July 1864. Once a popular form of entertainment that dates back to the 18th century, a cyclorama is a cylindrical painting of impressive proportions. The Atlanta Cyclorama, completed in 1886, is considered to be the world's largest oil painting. It's very educational, well displayed and inexpensive. We took our kids when they were young, mainly because we were hot while at the zoo and wanted some air conditioning. However, it is very interesting. Of course Bryant loved all of the guns and Wayne is a HUGE Civil War Buff. He has studied the war and the Generals for many years. Bryant outside the Cyclorama with a cannon.
Papa (Wayne) and Bryant
Mimi (Kim) & Bryant

We're getting pretty good at these self portraits!

After the Cyclorama we parked near the GA Aquarium and walked, in the light rain, to the CNN Center to eat lunch. We walked back to the GA Aquarium just in time for our 2:00 entry.

Sorry to say I can't tell you the names of most of the fish I took pictures of but some of the shots came out so good I thought you might enjoy them.
KING Crabs
The Aquarium has many "tunnels" that are glass so the fish, etc. swim right over you. Here is the underside of the of them.
The Sea Otters were entertaining as always. It was hard to catch them holding still to take a clear pic. They reminded me of Jasmine, our Fox Terrier.
Sea Turtle
I just LOVE this picture of Bryant looking into the big tank of fish.
I took a picture of Wayne and Bryant in front of this same tank last year. I thought it would be cool to take a pic here each time we visit.

I just had to take a picture of this fish made of feathers. I know Sandy and Terry will remember when HSN kept sending me the bird kit instead of the fish kit. I wrote on my review of the product that you better like your fish with feathers if you ordered this product! Well, here it is!

This is at the entrance of the Cold Water Creatures.

Wayne and Bryant at the Stingray pool. They are allowed to touch the rays at designated times.

This is another area where you can touch the inhabitants. This is either shrimp or starfish...I can't remember which.

This was my favorite...the Beluga Whale.

This was pretty cool...Here is a picture of one of the whales with her head out of the water...

...There is a screen by the tank showing you what the trainers are doing with the same whale at that time.

If you haven't been to the GA Aquarium you've got to go. We always order our tickets online ahead of time. It's quicker and easier to do it that way. I also suggest you spend the few extra dollars to go to Deepo’s Undersea 3D Wondershow . It's a 3D Animated film in the 4D Theater. I guess it is really geared toward children but it is wonderful for adults. It is another favorite part of the GA Aquarium. We certainly had a great 24 hours. I'll post a few pics of Brandon's b-day the next time. Got to get to bed so I can get to church in the morning. Hugs ~ Kim

5 comments:

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Gorgeous pictures!
My favorite is the one of Bryant by the tank as well. The feathered fish is too funny - you should mail that to HSN and show them what one would look like.
hehehe
Have a great week. Looking forward to seeing you ~ skinny!

Unknown said...

My baby is so precious!! I love all of the pictures of him:) You did a great job photographing the aquarium. Thank you for taking him on the trip, I know he enjoyed it:) Love you!!

Alice J said...

Kim,
Great pictures! We got 72 pictures of the aquarium!!!
I could not hold out to do what all you did. (Too old and out of shape I guess.)
But we had a wonderful time. Looks like you did too.
Some of the most beautiful fish in the world! Except the ones already cooked and on my plate!
God has really blessed us with a beautiful world to enjoy and paint.
AliceJ

Terry Richey said...

Don't you just love family trips like that? I can't believe that I am leaving town this weekend and my hubby and I never got to visit the Cyclorama...in fact, I have never heard of it! We love civil war history and can't wait to visit Gettysburg for a reinactment. I also love the feathered fish..who knew, huh? LOL

Linda said...

These are some more great pics. I have to tell the hotel beds remind me of my little ones jumping from bed to bed everytime be enter a hotel room. That is of course until we can get some sort of control over them. (if that can ever be done):)
Blessings