Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Tennessee . . .

I'm finally posting about our trip to Tennessee. We had a GREAT time and it was so relaxing. At the last minute we decided to take Bryant. He was very good and really enjoyed himself. We saw our friends, Paul, Tracy & their daughter, Katie. Wayne and I have known them for over 20 years and worked with both of them way back when. They moved from Georgia 10 years ago and it's taken us that long to make our way up to see them. Franklin, TN is rich in Civil War history which is one of Wayne's passions.
Here we are in their front yard before going to our first stop of the day. I really enjoyed spending the weekend with Katie.
She is so grown up and such a beautiful young lady.
She's very athletic and plays on a volleyball team and is a cheerleader for the high school.

It was SO HOT. We were hoping to get some relief from the heat but it was 100 degrees there too which is not normal! Here are the guys trying to locate something at Ft. Granger while while the girls "vegged" in the shade!

We had lunch at the Mellow Mushrom and I was intrigued with the painted brick. I wouldn't have thought of doing that but it looked really cool!

After lunch we visited the Carnton Plantation which was also used as a make-shift hospital during the war. We had a historian take us through in small groups and went in to great detail about the furnishings, some original, some period pieces, some replicas; out buildings; details of significant events that happened in each room as recorded in diaries and various other documentation. This is the front.

Here is the back porch of the Carnton Plantation. This is VERY rich in history and standing on the soil and in this home it is hard to believe that less than 150 years ago hundreds lost their lives in that very spot defending their beliefs.

The Carnton Plantation had one of the most beautiful and diverse Gardens that I've ever seen. It had a huge Grape Arbor that lined the back fence.

When you walked through the arbor the smell from all of the clusters of grapes was so strong that it made your mouth water. There were clusters of grapes EVERYWHERE! I thought this was interesting because there are so many colors on one cluster.

The butterflies loved the grapes too.

Does anyone know the name of this flower? It was so unusual that I had to take a picture.

Adjacent to the Carnton Plantation is the cemetery where 1496 Confederates are buried.

I LOVE this picture that I took of our friends while we were at the cemetery.

Wayne and Paul also visited the Carter House which is another Civil War site while the rest of us went downtown shopping. Bryant probably wished he'd have gone with the guys! The only thing I purchased was a new Christmas Ornament. I collect ornaments from the different places we've visited. I didn't start this until later in life but I love pulling out my ornaments each year and recalling the memories that are attached to that keepsake.

Paul & Tracy live in a neighborhood that has a HUGE pool, a tennis court, picnic area and pond. It is right across the street from their house.

We walked over there several times during our visit.

The fish were small but they were plentiful. Bryant would put his baited hook in the pond and 10 seconds later he'd have a fish! Of course we let all of them go but it was good fun.

Wayne and Bryant enjoying the slide at the pool.

Paul with their Miniature Pincher, Drifter. He was the most lovable dog. He would literally jump into my lap and "hug" me. You might recognize my painting in the background. I took all of my framed paintings, that I haven't given away, and let Tracy pick one for her birthday that was in June. She chose my Hibiscus with the "Cayman Blue" background. I loved that painting and had so much fun doing it but I can't think of a better person to "adopt" it.

Paul and I got up earlier than the others in the house each morning and shared coffee and conversation. Our first morning there, Friday, we talked about many things going on in our lives and among them was church. I told him that we had been attending a new church since February of this year and how it had changed our lives. He told me that they had been attending a local church most Sundays that sounded similar to our church and asked if I'd like to go. I was so-o-o excited since I knew I would really miss Sunday at our church. We worshipped through singing with their Praise band and were moved by a wonderful message about the "labels" that we often wear like guilt.

He reminded us that God's will is NOT for us to carry around guilt. If God punished us for our sins then what Christ did for us on the cross didn't count.

"Don't feel guilty about feeling guilty. "

  • Conviction makes you come to God.
  • Guilt makes you run from God.

He then quoted something from Max Lucado:

"If God had a refrigerator your picture would be on it in Heaven!"

Check back on Thursday night to find out how I did at Weight Watchers. I promise not to sleep through the meeting this week! Hugs ~ Kim

2 comments:

Linda said...

It looks like a fun trip. I have never seen that part of Franklin. Thanks for sharing the pictures and the history. My fil is a master gardener and I believe that particular flower is in his garden so I will have him look at your picture and tell me the name. I really want to thank you for the kind words you said on my blog. I too feel like I know you so well and we haven't even met in person. There really is something to be said for these blogs I believe there is a lot of evil on the internet but there is also some good because I believe I have connected with so many women that I would have not had the pleasure of knowing had it not been for the blogs.
Blessings

Unknown said...

I cannot believe how much Bryant loved Tennessee! Thank you so much for taking him on another wonderful vacation before school started. I know he loves his Mimi and Papa time as much as I do:)