Today, October 26th, is my wonderful grandmother's 88th birthday!
Many knew her as Helen W. Maynard, but to me she'll always be, My Memomer!
She was many things to those who had the blessing of knowing this incredible lady. She was so easy to talk to and was a great encourager. She always offered a listening ear and a caring heart. You never had to wonder where you stood with her and she wouldn't hesitate to let you know if you did something that didn't please her. That was part of the beauty of her character.
Though her mind was still sharp at 87 years old, her body had become very frail. Over the years, as her health declined, she still loved to participate in family activities. In her time at home she would read, watch TV or catch up on her correspondence which included sending birthday cards to all of our family and her friends. There were certain programs that she enjoyed watching and she would let you konw ahead of time when NOT to call so she wouldn't miss the next episode. :o) As her hearing continued to fail she relied more on reading than watching TV. However, eventually her eyes failed her as well. The Lord took her frail body home on May 8th of this year. I was so thankful to be by her side when the Lord took her home. Today we celebrate her birthday for the first time without her. It is hard to not be able to pick up the phone and call her, but I KNOW she is celebrating in heaven with all of our family and friends who arrived in heaven before her.
Also, October 21st would have been Memomer & Grandy's 70th wedding anniversary.My loving & funny grandfather, "Grandy", who was a devoted husband and beloved father & grandfather, passed away in 1996. I know they are celebrating in heaven.
I will post my next update this week, so please check back and leave a comment so I know you were here. Wayne and I were able to take an unexpected (Thanks, Mick!) quick trip to Destin last week so I'm a little behind on things.
Big Hugs & God's Blessings to all, Kim


3 comments:
Hi Kim,
What a beautiful post about your grandmother. I know she was and still is very special to you.
Looking forward to hearing about your trip to FLA. Have a wonderful week and I'll see you & Ashley on Saturday.
Blessings,
Sandy
I miss my Memomer so much! I know she is looking out for us in Heaven and I am so thankful that she was a part of my life. :-)
Love you,
~Ashley
What a wonderful post about my beloved memomer! I miss her so much, but I'm thankful that she is no longer suffering and certainly in a better place. I look forward to your next post mimikins!
Love you,
Stepher
Post a Comment